Saturday, August 05, 2006

How I became an Atheist

When I was young, I believed in santa claus. I would get presents from him, and people would tell me that he was real. From tv, I learned that the reason he was able to perform the impossible feat of delivering presents to everyone on the planet was through magic. It makes perfect sense to the simple mind of a child, as does a sort of ever present, all powerful, all knowing ghost that determines whether or not you spend the rest of eternity in pain. However, when you look at it from a neutral perspective as i did, Santa was far more plausable than god was. It's far more plausable to say a person has a special power than it is to say a person can do anything. So, as I grew up, I found that I wasn't so sure if santa was real anymore. I came to the conclusion that, "if he is real and I don't believe, I won't get presents; but if he's real and I do believe, I will get presents. However, if he is not real, it doesn't matter either way." Thus, I continued to "believe" in santa for a few more years, although it was a skeptical belief. My belief in god was along the same lines, except that santa remained more realistic. I figured that if he existed and I believed i would go to heaven, but if he didn't exit and i believed, nothing bad happened, so I maintained belief in god as well. Now, there comes a point when you pretty much have to stop believing. It becomes obvious to you that Santa is not real. When this happened, my parallel belief in god vanished as well. Even as a young child, the contradictions and unrealistic ideas of god were obvious to me, while the simple, "he uses magic" explains every issue that relates to santa.

So, having discarded my skeptical belief in god and santa, I went on to think about it. The more I thought, the more obvious it was that Christianity, the religion under which I was raised, was wrong. My beliefs matured over time, thanks to critical thought, reading on the interenet, and debates with religous friends. I spent a large amount of time debating religion on my Xanga site, where I was introduced to creationists who would readily discard modern science in favor of the pseudo sciences of christianity.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dr. kold_kadavr_flatliner, MD, the Roamin' Cat said...

Hmmm... Why do atheists always have to prove with long, irrelevant blogs their belief in the whorizontal, while Christians simply know after we croak, we'll be in the arms of our loving Father? That's funny. Why? We all have an indelible soul. Look-that-up if you don't quite yet know what the word 'indelible' means --- Lemme wanna gonna (onomatopoeia words ROCK, pal) giveth unto thee, my just and worthy liege, another example of how Jesus loves you. If you say there isn't a God, I say we shall ALL return to Jesus when you croak (your soul is indelible). Because I was an actual NDE, lemme share with you what I actually know Seventh-Heaven's gonna be like for you/me if you get in the boat, brudda: meet this ex-mortal Upstairs for the most-extra-groovy, pleasure-beyond-measure, Ultra-Yummy-Reality-Addiction in the Great Beyond for a BIG-ol-warp-drive, kick-some-ass-orgasm, party-hardy, 1011011011YummyFlavorsYouDon’tHaveTimeToEat you DO NOT wanna miss the smmmokin-hot-deal. YES! For God, anything and everything and more! is possible!! Cya soon…

2:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home